The church was built by Armenians as a religious and artistic structure in 1881 and the actual name of the church is Surp Yerrortut’yun Church (Holy Trinity Church). It is also known as the Red Church due to red face stones used in its construction.
Ulu Mosque, which survived to this day from the Seljuk period as the greatest example of wooden-poled mosques of Anatolia, was ordered to be built by Emeer Celaleddin Ali Bey, a military judge (in H.629 / 1231-32 AD according to the oldest inscription).
The Zaimoğlu family is known to be from Seljuk descendant, have come from Central Asia and settled in Darende district of Malatya and settled in Kirkuk after the conquest of Iraq. Kara Zaim from the Zaimoğlu family was given commandery here.